Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sleepless Night plus a Special Visit

Last night I had to go more than fifteen times to the bathroom so I couldn't sleep! OMG I'm tired... Today they explained it was because of the cyclophosphamide.
Yesterday Maryam and I skyped George.  He was as supportive and reassuring as always.  Then, Bassima (Bassam's sister), Maryam and Nachita came by.
Later, I tried to sleep.  I even asked for some medicine, but they only gave me valerian which did nothing to me.
I watched The Simpsons in German... How weird!!!!
Then I watched Toy Story 3 on YouTube (my son's favorite movie). 
And when I finally fell asleep,  at 7.15, Dr. Ho came by again... I couldn't take him a picture because I had to rush into the bathroom...
I'm now waiting for the next chemo and we'll see later, depending on how I feel, if I am discharged or not from the hospital.

During the transplant stage I won't have to be isolated in a bubble unless I contract an infection. I will also have a roommate.  The medical staff follows strict sterilization standards.  

I wanted to tell you that I met Samira, the Physiotherapist.  She's so cute and she speaks Hebrew! She's arab, but she said she loves Israel, that she is in Beer Sheva at least one month each year, and she called me "ajoti" (my sister)...  Anyway, I miss Raúl, my Physioterapist (¡Hola! ¿Cómo están Rebeca y su guatita?).

Well, I'll try to get some sleep now...
_______________________________
I slept half an hour until they came to measure my fever, pulse and blood pressure...
Then Dr. Schxxxxx something explained the next steps:
1. I have to start taking Neupogen injections on the 23rd.  They are very expensive, but Bassam will generously give me 4 shots that he didn't use, so I'll have to buy only one box.
2. I'll have blood tests on the 24th, 26th and 28th.  My blood count should have dropped because of the chemo.
3. On October 2nd I'll have a new blood test to check if the stem cells count is already enough for the Apheresis (the process to remove the stem cells).  
4. If so, I will have the Apheresis right away.
5. I'll be hospitalized again for the HSCT (hematopoietic stem cell transplant).

I asked the Dr. if he thought I would be able take to the airplane back to Chile on October 28th and he said probably... that in medicine it's difficult to foresee events.

Everything has turned out wonderful up to now, so I don't know why God would have another plan for me... If that's the case, then amen....
_______________________________
Aunt Yolanda, my father's cousin, came from Spain.  Nachita went to the central bus station to meet her and they went together to the hospital to pick me up.  Being with her after 6 years was really touching.  
When we got home, she shaved my hair using our neighbour's electric razor.  I was also moved and feeling already on the way towards the most difficult and final stage of this hopeful journey.

That's for today.  I'm exhausted....

5 comments:

  1. Mi vida, espero que hayas podido descansar y que te sientas tan bien que puedas irte a casita.
    Cómo viste a Bassam? es maravilloso que te esté dando ánimos. Espero que a el también le vaya muy bien y que puedan ambos soportar lo mejor posible todo lo que tienen que pasar.
    Escríbeme cuando llegue la tía Yolanda, ok?
    Te amo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya mi amor, entramos en tierra derecha, como dirían los hípicos. Tu tranqui nomás que yo, como bien sabes, estoy al pie del cañón con los niños, así que todo lo que haya que hacer y todo lo que tenga que demorar, será.
    Que pena que en la oficina no puedo conectar con el skype, además no tengo ni cámara ni micrófono.
    Escríbeme cuando aparezca la tía Yolanda.
    Besitos y abrazos para ti, mi adorada baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Campeona! Todo viento a favor..Estamos a cada rato contigo esperando que con buen animo y fuerzas positivas ira KOL TOV AMEN!!
    Te queremos mucho y lo que me dijiste que fuera a verte nuevamente me quedo tan tan sonando en mi cabeza y con el corazon!!
    We LOVE YOU
    Wim y Pepa!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karina, espero que todo siga su curso y que puedas regresar el 28, si no se puede entonces a seguir esperando siempre con mucha Fé!!, un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karinita, de todo corazón deseo que el tratamiento salga muy bien y que no sufras muchos efectos secundarios por la quimoterapia. Dios está contigo y seguiremos pidiendo por tí.

    ReplyDelete