Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Apheresis

We were told we had to be in the hospital between 8 and 9, but when we arrived at 8.45 they called me by my name: "Mrs. Grünwald, we are waiting for you!" and then they took me directly to the Apheresis room.  Dr. Neben had asked if my veins were ok and I had told him that my right arm ones were stenosed due to many years having different treatments... So he said they would put me a neck IV line, that 10% of people had to have it like that. Anyway, the nurse checked and rechecked them... They put me a heating pad over my arm and waited 20 minutes.  She then managed to insert IV lines in both arms!!!!!! I was so happy!!! 
After an hour the nurse approached and said everything indicated that the stem cell account wouldn't be enough and she asked Nachita to pick up two more neupogen injections from the hematological department, that she didn't know yet if there were going to be one or even two more apheresis... Tomorrow is a public holiday here, but she said they would go to the hospital anyway... She said that was common and it was possibly because my bone marrow was very damaged due to the many treatments I've taken.
Everytime she approached and explained about the next apheresis I told her: "that is IF there are not enough..."  
Nachita and I made up our mind and were kind of given up... Everything happens for a reason...  
We were there almost four hours listening to mantras and cheer up music, until they finally took the stem cells to the lab... 
After twenty minutes the doctor called me on someone's mobile phone and she said that against all odds, I had 2.9 million stem cells per kilo, and that amount was great!!! I couldn't speak........ I was absolutely shocked...... I gave Nachita the phone and bursted into tears. I held the nurse (Beatrix) tightly... She was so sweet..  Later Nachita told me how impressed they were at the lab, because they thought I wouldn't have enough SC..
We have to call the hospital next Thursday to learn about the next step.
It was an exhausting and magic day...

4 comments:

  1. Muñequita mía, todo se ha ido dando según lo profundamente deseado. Me alegra tanto ver tu maravillosa disposición para enfrentar cada uno de los pasos. Ahora toca descansar hasta el jueves y ahí continuamos..., es como las carreras con obstáculos donde hay que ir superando cada uno de ellos. Estamos cada día más cerca de la meta.
    Te adoro y eres el ejemplo más hermoso de lucha contra la adversidad que me ha tocado conocer a lo largo de mi vida.
    (Es idea mía o la doctora anda con los rulines? ;-)
    Un abrazo lleeeeeeeno de amor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina de mi corazon con cuanta alegria lei lo que Nachita puso en el FB y ahora estoy aqui en tu blog ...mi tesoro estamos felices que todo esta saliendo asi....seguro que lo proximo sera igual..
    Quiero que sepas que por si te( olvidaste ) Wim y moi te queremos mucho
    Y estamos junto a ti eso ya lo sabes verdad...ademas tienes un Angel Guardian a tu lado que es un Sol la" Nachita.."
    Te mando un beso y abrazos con todo las buenas energias de
    Wim y Pepa!!!LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que buenas noticias.. Ha sido mágico como tu misma lo has señalado.. Desde Chilito todos estamos muy cerquita tuyo y disfrutando de tu alegria y de tu maravillosa forma de enfretar el dia a dia...
    Abrazos, bendiciones y mucha energia.. Vamos que este jueves se vienen mas good news... Besos
    yael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari, me alegra muchísimo que todos los días te sorprendas con una buena noticas, estoy segura que es Dios quien te acompaña. Nachita eres una bella persona, la vida recompensará tanta generosidad de tu parte.
    un abrazo lleno de energía para ustedes

    ReplyDelete