Sunday, December 2, 2012

2nd Week

One of the blood tests was positive.  It turned out that one of the opportunistic infections appeared and, though it's asymptomatic, I have a cytomegalovirus.  The infectologist told me that I shoud take Valganciclovir for a month, and that I should start immediately with it.  Nobody transmitted this virus to me.  It's a virus that many people have dormant in the body, but after transplants occasionally is activated. I'll have blood tests every week to check how is everything going on.
I started rehabilitation with my physiotherapist, following the physiatrist instructions, and though I feel extremely fatigued when I use the right side of the body (my weak side) I do my best to do all the exercises.  
My neurologist prescribed a sleeping pill, so I'm finally sleeping five hours plus a short nap in the afternoon!
Many friends have visited me and whenever I need to go to the doctor, some close friends take me to them... Also on the first days, I was never alone, because there was always a friend with me.  The Jewish Community of Chile hired a nursing assistant to be with me from 9 to 18 hrs, Mondays through Saturdays.  I try to do everything by myself, but she helps me a lot with: the medicines, food (I also take Ensure daily), stretching and exercises, putting cream for the exantema (that thank God is each day less itchy), and so on...
It's going to be a very slow recovery, but that's the way it is expected.
Meanwhile, I enjoy being with my son, my mom and my friends.
Take care.


7 comments:

  1. Dear Karina, You have wonderful understanding of medical events. Your explanation about CMV is absolutely accurate. It great that you are making progress, in spite of its being a step-for-step process, and that you are able to enjoy the good life experiences (rather than pining on the troubles). I am sure that our love and our prayers play a positive role. They are with you at all times. Warmest regards, Nina & Moshe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo dear Mrs Grunwald
    i just want to encourage you take heart and continue to excercise....you will be happy about the results!
    Wish you lots of strength &all the best!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karinita, qué bueno que vas mejorando, aunque tengas un poco de rezago con lo del virus. Pero todo es cuestión de tiempo, ya verás que pronto vas a recordar todo esto como una anécdota. Mientras tanto, seguiremos pidiéndole a Dios por tí y tu pronta recuperación. Abrazos. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vas a conquistar este virus también.... tu familia en California te manda muchos besos y cariños.....tio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amiga me encantó verte, estoy segura que cada día será un nuevo paso para llegar al éxito
    Un abrazo gigante

    ReplyDelete
  6. Refua shlema desde Israel y continuas en nuestra Tefillah diaria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karinita!
    ayer te escribi apenas lei este reporte y cuando quisie mandartelo desaparecio lo que te habia escrito..
    Mas o menos en pocoas palabras te decia que pese a tus contratiempos con tu efectos secundarios veo que por suerte todo de a poquito se va volviendo a la normalidad....y lo mejor es estar en tu casita cerca de tus seres queridos, y eso te hace bien...
    Yo aun en Bogota, ya me faltan menos de 2 semanitas para regresar a Belgica, ya esta haciendo frio segun me conto Wim..pero asi es la vida y otra vez me ire a mi casa y voy a extraniar mucho a mis nietos...en fin todo en uno, no lo tiene ninguno..
    Karinita ya sabes que tanto Wim y yo estamos a tu lado mandandote buenas energias con todo nuestro corazon y amor!!
    We Love you !!!

    ReplyDelete