Friday, March 29, 2013

5 Months

While I was slowly experiencing improvements, during the last three weeks I started feeling extremely weak and fatigued.  I fell many times and couldn't sit up.  I had many bruises all over my body and I hurt my ribs in one of my falls. I became very depressed as I couldn't do the small things I had achieved with my persistance and my physiotherapy sessions... I started feeling so disabled like never before.  I couldn't go anywhere.... 
I had a brain and a cervical stem MRI with no new nor active lesions.  Some of them were even smaller. That was great, but what explained the worsening of symptoms?
I went to see the onco-hematologist and he asked me to have some exams. I turned possitive to Clostridium Difficile Toxins A and B.  It is an opportunistic bacteria that was activated because of the long use of an antibiotic called Ciprofloxacin.  I've already been 5 months using it, following Heidelberg's instructions.  The doctor suspended it right away and  hospitalized me.  
I spent last night in the Clínica Alemana waiting for the oral Vancomycin.  The immunologist said we had to wait and see how welI it was tolerated, but if everything went well and I didn't have high fever, I could go home.. 
I am glad there was something wrong, because I know it will be fixed and I'll start improving again, but I'm still very depressed.  I never thought I would be this disabled.  I have to use an AFO for the right foot drop, an orthesis for my right hand, another AFO to sleep, I'm still taking Ensure supplements, many medications...
I wish I could erase the word Multiple Sclerosis from my head for just one day... hopefully I'll get better with this new antibiotic and I'll start improving again as stem cells still have a lot to do.

This was the view from my window... I wanted to share it.
Take care




6 comments:

  1. Karinita, no te deprimas, sé que pensarás que es fácil decirlo, pero creo que eso no te auuda en nada, piensa en todo el camino recorrido y en tis preciosos hijos!!!, vamos fuerza y arriba el ánimo!!
    Un fuerte abrazo y un beso!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi querida amiga, que este episodio sea una etapa más de todo el tratamiento y de lo que has tenido que pasar desde hace ya tiempo. Se que tendrás la fuerza para seguir luchando, mucha fuerza te mando un gran abrazo te quiero muchísimo amiga¡
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karinita, love, The way it is heart-breaking to read your report on being so unwell, it is comforting to learn that this was(!) due to a condition that "can be fixed" - and not by a relapse of the basic illness. This awareness is certain to pull you out of depression. With your radiant personality and smile it is pure waste to have you depressed...And now, ahead again on a straight trail to continued improvement. This is a strict command from the people who love and admire you - meaning, Nina & Moshe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mi preciosa, ya sabes como es esto: es como el tren Arica - La Paz, 3 pasos pa' delante y un paso pa'tras. Es fácil para todos pedirte que tengas paciencia, hay que estar metida en tus zapatos para poder entender lo que sientes. Mi vida, sé que vamos por buen camino, lo veo a diario.
    Te amo
    Tu mamy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Algunos inconvenientes también forman parte del proceso. No te detengas, sigue, sigue, sigueeeeeee aunque crees que no puedes. Cada día estás más cerca de conseguir el objetivo.
    Un abrazo, Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hola Karina:
    Me faltan palabras para te animar, pero piensa em Gabriele e Nicol ellos son tu luz y esperanza. Fuerza que esta es otra fase dificil a superar, tiempo mejores van venir.
    besos
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete